The Blue Economy Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) https://blueeconomycrc.com.au/ is managed by the Company (Blue Economy-CRC-Co Ltd) and will bring together, for the first time, national and international expertise in aquaculture, marine renewable energy and marine engineering as part of a single, collaborative project.
Through integration of the knowledge and expertise across these sectors, this CRC will pave the way for innovative, commercially viable and sustainable offshore developments that will see rapid increases in marine renewable energy output and seafood production.
The Company is funded by cash and in-kind contributions from over 40 participants https://blueeconomycrc.com.au/about/participants/ that will secure over $300M in resources over its 10 year term.
The Company entered into it funding agreement with the Commonwealth on 18 October, 2019 and as such is assembling its senior management team to execute on its ambitious plans to coordinate and fund research of global significance.
Position Title: Business Manager and Company Secretary
Reports To: CEO and Board
The Business Manager is responsible for leading and managing the corporate activities of the business. Specifically, this key position has; responsibility for the financial, employment and contractual affairs of the Company, liaises with Blue Economy CRC staff and its corporate member organisations. The position-holder is an integral member of the senior management team and will on occasion deputise for the CEO.
Ideally the person will also act as Company Secretary providing expert advice on corporate governance issues to the Chairman and Board Directors. Candidates without the experience appropriate for the role of Company Secretary may still apply.
Qualification and Experience
A relevant tertiary qualification is essential such as in business, accounting and/or law. Senior management experience in a public or private sector entity with demonstrated ability to engage constructively with a diverse range of partners and stakeholders. Previous experience in a CRC would be highly valued.
Location and Employment Status
The Position is full-time (1.0FTE) and is based in Launceston Tasmania
Total remuneration package will be based on qualifications and experience.
- Financial management, budget oversight and reporting obligations of the Company in accordance with Commonwealth-determined requirements
- Oversight and maintenance of core company management systems
- Management of contracts/funding
- Recruitment of staff, management of employment
- Development of workplace policies and protocols to ensure work place safety and compliance with all relevant
- As Company Secretary provide corporate governance expertise to support the Board and its
- As Business Manager participate ex officio on the Company’s Finance, Audit & Risk Management Committee
- Provide high level advice to the CEO, and the executive team on business issues, planning, and policy development. Support the CEO in relation to management of IP and
- Develop and maintain relationships with members, business partners, government agencies, industry bodies and other key
- Participation as a member of the senior management team in ensuring business efficiencies and contributing to the development of future
- Key relationship manager for the Company’s lease of premises and major equipment / infrastructure.
The role will principally report to the Chief Executive Officer, but in the capacity of Company Secretary other reporting obligation to the Board and/or Board Advisory Committees may apply.
The successful candidate will have the ability to demonstrate strong leadership and management skills with previous experience of business development, budget and financial management, employment and contract management. Excellent communication skills, both verbally and written, and the ability to problem solve and to interact with a range of funding bodies and stakeholders.
- Tertiary qualifications in business administration/finance/accounting/law
- Extensive administrative, finance and business management experience.
- Experience in a Cooperative Research Centre is desirable
- Proven leadership and organisational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team with management and staff at all levels and with business associates such as partners, sponsors, auditors, lawyers
- Well developed skills in oral and written communication with demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with staff at all
- Demonstrated imitative and achievement in managing businesses with an outcomes focus.
- Comfortable with, and an advocate for the Company’s values and culture.
BUSINESS AND PERSONAL SKILLS
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and management skills
- Ability to manage, support and communicate with a wide range of stakeholders
- Flexible team player
- Strong strategic capability
- Sound commercial acumen.
- An excellent communicator and networker.
- Open to the use of innovative systems
HOW TO APPLY:
- A cover letter (up to two pages) highlighting your motivation and suitability for the role (NB: A detailed response to the key competencies is not required);
- A current CV;
- Your notice period;
- Names of two referees, together with a brief statement of the capacity in which they have known you (we will not contact your referees without your express permission);
- An indication of the earliest date you could commence in the role
- Application should be sent to the interim Chief Executive Officer; care of email@example.com
- Applications close at 5pm Friday 15, November.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
- Candidates may write to the CRC care of the interim Chief Executive Officer; care of firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 0412127065.